Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Future Is In The Making

So here I sit after a short, measly 5 hour shift I worked at Old Country Buffet, pondering what I want to do with my life. The last 3 years that I have worked have been one of my motivations for staying in school. It's only been a matter of what I want to go to school for. College is the one place you get to decide what you want to be, just a matter of what classes and the kinds of grades you get in them. The commonly known question is: What do you want to be when you grow up?

The answer to that question has changed a few times here and there from when I was a little girl to my now adult age of 19 years old. I have always thought about the doctor route. Not for the $100,000+ salary but for the mere fact that I would be saving people's lives. That has always been an ambition of mine. If I can find some way to help save peoples' lives, that would be what I would do. Why not be a doctor? Well, every now and again my curiosity strikes and I start doing mini-research on how to become a doctor.

My research has shown that there is A LOT of school. And when I say A LOT, I mean like 8-10+ years of schooling. COLLEGE schooling. We all know that college definitely costs some money. Pre-med program to be taken at a University and if that University doesn't have a medical school, then you have to go to a school that does have medical schooling in it upon graduating from the pre-med program.

For the last 2 or 3 years I have been going to Eastern Washington University with the idea that I was to be a Medical Laboratory Technologist. Why not the doctor route? Well, the pre-med tech program is 4 years with a year of internship at Sacred Heart Medical Center and BAM! I have a job in that hospital. One of the biggest 'downers' on my "Dr. Severino-Radimecky" idea has been the money issue. College does cost a chunk of money but I am not going to let money stand in my way of reaching my goal.

Just this year I was awarded work study with my financial aid award and have the privilege of being an office assistant in the Biology Department. This is helpful to me because I have the resources to know what kind of classes I need to take and I find out things about certain classes and whether or not certain professors are good at teaching certain classes. And I have decided that with this extra resource and my financial aid, I am going to do the pre-med program and then go to medical school: either U of W or another Medical School on the west side. But my goal is to become a surgeon. I know it will take many years to achieve but whatever the obstacle, I will overcome it to reach my goal and help make the world a better place :)

1 comment: